Creative Mind Child Development Clinic for Learning Disability
LD is a developmental disorder with academic and psychosocial consequences. LD manifest as failure to acquire reading, writng or math skills at grade and age expected levels.
Dyslexia: Specific type of reading disability caused by deficit in phonological processing. Children with more diffuse language problems are at higher risk for reading comprehension deficit.
Dysgraphia: writing disability caused by neurodevelopmental weakness including problem with hand writing (fine motor or grapho-motor).
Dyscalculia: Mathematical disability, including problem in number sense, arithmetic calculations, difficulty with language of math (correctly reading and understanding numbers and symbols).
Early Red flag signs:
- Language delay
- Difficulty learning simple words
- Difficulty in making simple sentences
- Difficulty in rhymes
- Difficulty drawing simple shapes
- Difficulty learning to count
Pointers to identify at risk children (School Age)
- Unexplainable absence from school
- Below average academic performance
- Poor writing ability
- Problems in reading ability
- Poor mathematical competence
- Problems in recall
- Developmental Pediatrics evaluation
- Psychometric-Assessment (IQ test, Educational Assessment)
- Special Education based on interpretation of evaluation reports
- Occupationaltherapy (handwriting, attention, hyperactivity, visual-motor coordination)